红色中国网

找回密码
 立即注册
搜索
查看: 5068|回复: 2

美国威斯康星州首府发生骚乱,废奴主义者雕像也被推倒 [复制链接]

发表于 2020-6-24 20:00:03 |显示全部楼层

[color=var(--type-primary,#303030)]MADISON - Fury exploded outside the Wisconsin State Capitol on Tuesday night as protesters smashed windows at the statehouse, attacked a state senator, and tore down two iconic statues — including one of an abolitionist who died trying to end slavery during the Civil War.

[color=var(--type-primary,#303030)]The unrest began earlier Tuesday following the arrest of a Black man who was arrested after[color=var(--body-5_-_color)][size=16.125px]bringing a megaphone and a baseball bat into a Capitol square restaurant. It followed weeks of mostly peaceful protests of the death of George Floyd, a Black man who was killed by a white police officer

[color=var(--type-primary,#303030)]During the melee late Tuesday, Democratic state Sen. Tim Carpenter was assaulted after taking a photo of protesters.

[color=var(--type-primary,#303030)]"I don't know what happened ... all I did was stop and take a picture ... and the next thing I'm getting five-six punches, getting kicked in the head," Carpenter told a Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reporter following the assault.

[color=var(--type-primary,#303030)]Protesters, chanting for the release of the man who'd been arrested earlier, also broke glass at the Tommy Thompson Center on West Washington Avenue, smashed windows and lights at the state Capitol, and set a small fire at the Dane County jail before police arrived just before 1 a.m.

[color=var(--type-primary,#303030)]The destruction followed similar incidents in cities nationwide following the death of Floyd in Minneapolis. But in other cities, statues of Confederate soldiers and other symbols of slavery were destroyed.

[color=var(--type-primary,#303030)]In Madison, statues of Wisconsin's motto "Forward" and of Col. Hans Christian Heg were dragged away from their spots guarding the statehouse. Heg was an anti-slavery activist who fought and died for the Union during the U.S. Civil War. His nearly 100-year-old sculpture was decapitated and thrown into a Madison lake by protesters.

[color=var(--type-primary,#303030)]The original Forward statue was first placed in front of the Wisconsin State Capitol in 1895. Protesters tore down a replica that was commissioned in the 1990s.

[color=var(--type-primary,#303030)]Forward is "an allegory of devotion and progress," according to the Wisconsin Historical Society.

[color=var(--type-primary,#303030)]Tuesday night's violence drew the fury of the Republican leader of the state Assembly, who called the protesters who knocked down the statues "thugs."

[color=var(--type-primary,#303030)]"This is absolutely despicable. I am saddened at the cowardice of Madison officials to deal with these thugs," Assembly Speaker Robin Vos, R-Rochester, tweeted as the statues were being torn down.

[color=var(--type-primary,#303030)]Vos also questioned why Gov. Tony Evers hadn't intervened in the destruction of the statues, given it took place on state Capitol property. Protesters also broke windows of a state building near the Capitol which houses the state jobs agency, among other state offices.

[color=var(--type-primary,#303030)]Spokeswomen for Evers and Madison Mayor Satya Rhodes-Conway did not respond to questions late Tuesday about police force's slow response.

[color=var(--type-primary,#303030)]After 1 a.m., a line of about 20 police officers stood in riot gear as a crowd of about 100 remained, breaking into occasional chants; police played a recording stating the gathering was unlawful and telling people to leave.

使用道具 举报

发表于 2020-6-24 20:01:29 |显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 远航一号 于 2020-6-24 20:03 编辑

点评

远航一号  I believe this is State Senator Tim Carpenter. Minutes earlier he told us the protesters assaulted him. Then he collapsed walking towards the Capitol. We called paramedics. An ambulance is here now.  发表于 2020-6-24 20:04:00

使用道具 举报

发表于 2020-6-24 20:04:59 |显示全部楼层

点评

远航一号  I took this pic- it got me assaulted & beat up. Punched/kicked in the head, neck, ribs. Maybe concussion, socked in left eye is little blurry, sore neck & ribs. 8-10 people attacked me. Innocent peopl   发表于 2020-6-24 20:05:29

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Archiver|红色中国网

GMT+8, 2024-3-29 16:42 , Processed in 0.031935 second(s), 11 queries .

E_mail: redchinacn@gmail.com

2010-2011http://redchinacn.net

回顶部